Second-year STEM Internship (SySTEM)
The Second-year STEM Internship program offers a unique teaching opportunity to science and mathematics majors in the second year of their coursework.
- It enables them to gain hands-on exposure to teaching science or math in a K-12 classroom.
- Interns will work in small groups for two quarters, guided by faculty mentors, to develop a short demonstration/activity that illustrates important principles in math or science.
- They then run the demonstration/activity in local K-12 classrooms.
A major part of this program is that interns spend enough time throughout the two quarters to develop from their experience an idea of what it would be like to be a K-12 math or science teacher.
Benefits and Obligations of the SySTEM Internship
Each intern will:
- Receive up to $2,000 ($1,000 per quarter for two consecutive quarters)
- Collaborate with a small group to design and implement a math- or science-based demonstration to showcase in K-12 classrooms
- Spend at least 10 hours per quarter in K-12 math or science classrooms observing and tutoring.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Minimum 3.0 overall GPA and 3.0 GPA in major
- Must be a STEM major (majoring in mathematics or a science discipline)
- Must have completed the first year of core courses in major
- Completed Application Form
- Unofficial transcript from CSUSB
|Jeremy Aikin||Dept. of Mathematics||JJAikin@csusb.edu||909-537-5375|
|Sarah Zayas||Asst. Director of CEME||SZayas@csusb.edu||909-537-5455|
|David Polcyn||Dept. of Biology||DPolcyn@csusb.edu||909-537-5313|
|Xinying Yin||College of Education||XYin@csusb.edu||909-537-5696|
|Cory Johnson||Dept. of Mathematicsfirstname.lastname@example.org||909-537-5423|
|Joseph Jesunathadas||College of Educationemail@example.com||909-537-5683|